Homemade Cream of Mushroom soup
Ingredients: * 6 tablespoons butter
* 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
* 1 pound thin sliced fresh mushrooms
* 2 regular size cans chicken broth
* 4 tablespoons flour
* 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoons salt (optional)
*1 cup light or regular whipping cream
1) Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large sauce pan, then saute' onions until soft, about 3 minutes.
2) Add mushrooms and saute' another 4-5 minutes.
3) Pour both cans of chicken broth into a measuring cup and add a small amount of water to equal a total of 1 quart liquid. Add this liquid to the mushroom mixture and simmer approximately 15 minutes.
4) In a separate small sauce pan melt 3 tablespoons butter, gradually stir in flour and cook over medium heat for approximately 2-3 minutes after mixture begins to "bubble."
5) Gradually stir into this bubbling "roux" at least 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the mushroom mixture. At first roux will thicken into a paste, but as you add more liquid it will thin a little. When roux is blended with the liquid you have added, pour into primary soup mixture and continue to stir until a smooth texture is achieved.
6) Add whipping cream, stir to blend, then bring gently to boiling point. When soup just begins to bubble around the edges remove it from heat. It is finished. Serve hot or hold it and gently reheat it later.
7) You can add Nutmeg or Tarragon during the simmering stage for a slightly different flavor.